What is the Pre-licensing( 5-hour class) Course ?
5-hour class is a DMV-approved, standardized classroom course that provides knowledge you will need as a new driver. The course covers many important topics, including
- driving within the highway transportation system
- driver habits and skills
- feelings, attitudes and risk taking
- alcohol, other drugs and driving
When you successfully complete the course, you will be given a Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278). If you complete a high school or college driver education course, you will receive a Driver Education Certificate (MV-285), and you do not need a Pre-licensing Course Certificate. You must have one of these certificates to schedule your road test. You must bring the original certificate to your road test to turn in to the license examiner. 2
For how long will my 5-hour Course Certificate be valid?
Your 5-hour Course Certificate is valid for one year from the date it is issued. A Driver Education Certificate is valid for two years. If your Pre-licensing Course Certificate expires, you must complete the course again to receive the certificate required to schedule a road test.
Your certificate must be valid on the date that you make your Road Test appointment, but can be expired on the date you take your road test.
Do I need a Pre-Licensing Course Certificate to change my license from one class to another?
No, you do not need a Pre-licensing Course Certificate or a Driver Education Certificate if you have a valid NYS driver license and you apply to amend to another license Class.
How much supervised practice driving must I get before I take my road test?
If you are under age 18, before you take your road test you must
- have a minimum of 50 hours of supervised practice driving with
- at least 15 hours at night (after sunset)
- at least 10 hours in moderate to heavy traffic
- bring to the road test a Certification of Supervised Driving (MV-262)completed by your parent or guardian to certify that you have had the required hours of supervised practice driving (you must give the MV-262 to the license examiner each time you take a road test)
NY DMV recommend that all drivers of all ages have this amount and type of practice. NY DMV also recommend that you take a driver education course or professional driving lessons.
NOTE:*YOU MUST POSSESS A VALID NEW YORK STATE LEARNER’S PERMIT TO TAKE THIS 5-HOUR COURSE
IF I LOST MY 5 -HOUR CERTIFICATE THEN?
KEEP YOUR CERTIFICATE SAFE UNTIL YOU PASS THE ROAD TEST ,IN CASE YOU LOST CERTIFICATE THEN TO GET A DUPLICATE CERTIFICATE YOU HAVE TO NOTICE US AT LEAST 24 HRS. BEFOREHAND. DUPLICATE CERTIFICATE FEE $20
5-HOUR CLASS SCHEDULE:
- Every Saturday 4 pm to 9 pm
- Every Monday 10 am to 3 pm
- CLASSES ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
PRICE: $ 40 cash credit/debit card $45